National Apprenticeship Week gives us the opportunity to recognize hard-working students like Kevin Maes. He is already leading jobs and has a bright future ahead of him. We know you’ll be able to reach your goal of becoming a master electrician, Kevin!
“I originally majored in computer science at Radford University. Once I started an internship, I realized sitting behind a desk for 8 to 10 hours a day for the next 40+ years was not for me. I enjoyed being outside in the elements working with my hands and applied for a job at G.J. Hopkins. I guess the allure of both the danger and dexterity of electricity drew me to it from the very beginning. I didn’t think twice about the Apprenticeship Program until I started to grow with the company. My supervisor told me it would be one of the best things I could do to improve myself.
I’m in the final year of my apprenticeship now, and I like that I can focus on my education and work full time. My ultimate goal is to be one of G.J. Hopkins’ youngest and active master electricians. I am currently leading jobs and believe the more knowledge you have can help you become the most effective in any situation. The program is helping me achieve my goal one year at a time.
The best part, in my opinion, is one day I will have children, and I can drive past a building and say with confidence and pride that I helped build that.”
Kevin Maes – Electrical Apprentice
About the G.J. Hopkins Apprenticeship Program
Get paid to learn a trade! We start with a base level of pay and increase your rate $1.00 per hour each year that you successfully complete the necessary apprenticeship courses and hours of OTJ training. Grow with us! Apply today at gjhopkins.com/careers.
What we promise
G.J. Hopkins offers a full Apprenticeship Program for those interested in a career in trades, starting as early as age 16+. We provide you with:
- The online classroom training program
- The tools and materials needed for you to succeed
- The on-the-job (OTJ) training hours required to obtain your Journeyman’s license
- The opportunity to earn while you learn
- Growth opportunity based on your performance, knowledge, and experience (year over year)
- The flexibility to work around your schedule
- A long term future career opportunity in a booming industry of trades!
What we expect
G.J. Hopkins is an elite MEP Company that strives for growth and success year over year. To meet our goals, we need tradesmen and women that are interested in learning about what we do and how we do it!
- Each apprentice must complete a minimum of 16 hours of virtual classroom work per month. (Each apprentice must complete a minimum of 144 hours of related instruction (RI) per year.)
- We expect each apprentice to apply themselves when working on-site or in the virtual classroom.
- We require clear communication with concerns to scheduling, attendance, and absenteeism.
- Each apprentice must maintain an 80% passing grade or above for all four years.
- We require that the apprentice stays with the company