History

The firm started in 1958 with the goal of providing mechanical contracting services from the quality perspective of sound engineering principles.

Personnel with experience and technical expertise in the electrical field were added to the staff in 1963.  This allowed the firm to offer both major disciplines and to provide a combined, coordinated package, which covered both fields.

A sheet metal shop was added to allow the company better quality and cost control over this vital aspect of mechanical projects.

In 1984, the company was purchased by The Branch Group and merged with Branch Mechanical, an established design-build mechanical contracting firm.  The resulting company, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Branch Group, an ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan) company, is one of stronger financial position, stronger management, and greater technical expertise.

The company has continued to build upon the standards of quality and sound engineering skills our customers have come to expect.  In addition we feel that we have the area’s finest service department to attend to our client’s needs after construction is complete.

G.J. Hopkins, Inc. committed to providing in-house design-build capabilities to our customers in 1998.

The successful service department births the creation of two more departments (Special Projects and Controls) to better serve our clients in 1999.

In 2008, GJH proudly celebrates 50 years of providing quality services to our clients!

Our services expanded in 2011 to provide Building Information Modeling (BIM) and prefabrication of systems.

  • Mr. Garland Hopkins founds G.J. Hopkins








    1958




    With the advent of his first child, Hopkins decides to start his own business, and a mechanical contracting firm is born.
  • Electrical Contracting









    1963




    By expanding into electrical contracting, the firm becomes a full service mechanical and electrical contractor.
  • Sheet Metal Shop Added









    1977




    Building our own sheet metal shop gives us the ability to improve and better control the quality and cost aspects of our mechanical projects.
  • Branch Group Acquisition, Jerry Moormon becomes President








    1984




    G. J. Hopkins is acquired by The Branch Group, a parent company to five subsidiaries, and merges with Branch Mechanical, making us 100% employee owned.
  • E.M. Clifton becomes President









    1998




    Clifton adds an in-house design-build department, making projects faster and more affordable, while ensuring the highest quality.
  • A Changing Market brings Growth









    2000




    A changing economy brings 80-90% growth in medical projects.
  • Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine








    2008




    G.J. Hopkins contracts with Virginia Tech and Carilion Health System, who form a partnership to create a medical research facility.
  • Ernie Caldwell becomes President









    2011




    A larger, new shop makes prefabrication possible, saving time & money. BIM capabilities added, making 3-D virtual construction and coordination possible.
  • Building Information Modeling continues to Improve Operations








    Today




    Our BIM capabilities continue to streamline the construction process by making it more accurate, more efficient and more cost effective. Higher Education projects increase, while existing work remains steady.